Let us start off with a simple experiment to help explain the feel, importance and principal of using the CORE for your overall mobility, balance and power -
- Sit down in a regular chair. Now, without using your hands or arms for support, stand upright. Relatively easy, was it not? Now sit down again in the same upright position as before, but this time try to imagine that your whole abdominal area (all the muscles under the ribcage) is “dead”. They do not exist. Please concentrate until you feel that you are into the mode. Again, please stand up. You should not be able to without “putting your abdominal muscles into gear”! You should not even be able to move or lean forward. Why? It should now be obvious that it is impossible to make a move, any move, whether to stand up, sit down, turn, bend, and get in to or out of a car or even bed, without putting the CORE of your body into gear – especially the whole of the abdominal area.
- And that is exactly how the Human Body is supposed to function. If your posture is weak or not aligned in some way, tension and strain will be placed on other parts, no matter how strong or healthy they may be. Also, if one side of the body is weaker than the other side, it will also cause all sorts of problems.
- You automatically – without even thinking - use the CORE of the body to make any movement. You will notice that all good sportsmen/women use this CORE area to create control, power, rhythm and balance. Take a closer look at the actions, even the smooth power & grace of a ballet dancer. Unless they utilize the CORE, they will not be able to perform at anywhere their usual high standard. Dancers, golfers, tennis players, athletes, boxers, exponents of judo and karate – they all have to use the CORE to succeed. Every physical task is made easier, better controlled, with greater safety and precision.
- This should be pure and simple proof beyond any doubt, about the importance of the flexibility, strength, alignment and well-being of every part of the body and how it affects other parts from performing well.
- The aim is to allow your body to be in a position of least strain on supporting muscles and ligaments during any movement or weight-bearing activity. This applies to whether you are standing, walking, sitting or lying, as well as running, jumping or doing any other activities. Consider the CORE all day and every day until it becomes automatic.
- Keeping the muscles, bones and joints in the correct alignment so that muscles are being used properly and to their maximum efficiency, means not only more power and control; it also minimizes the possibility of headaches and back pain in general.
- Optimal posture allows for pain-free movement with a minimum of energy expenditure, and will allow the body to act with the maximum amount of vigor, power and collective control possible.
- Any deviations from the ideal and efficient alignment will eventually result in chronic pain symptoms as well as less power and flexibility.
- Should you wish to know “How to Develop a Complete Stretching and Muscle Strengthening” program at home - Refer to the Links: Stretching
View full topics