7 Foods to Reduce
- 1. nReduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) and further reduce intake to 1,500 mg among persons who are 51 and older and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease.
- 2. Consume less than 10% of calories from saturated fatty acids by replacing them with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- 3. Consume less than 300 mg per day of dietary cholesterol.
- 4. Keep trans - fatty acid consumption as low as possible.
- 5. Reduce the intake of calories from solid fats and added sugars.
- 6. Limit the consumption of foods that contain refined grains, especially those with solid fats, added sugars, and sodium.
- 7. If alcohol is consumed, it should be consumed in moderation — up to one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men — and only by adults of legal drinking age.
View full topics