- Each day water losses are balanced with water intake.
- The body has a sophisticated system that works to maintain water balance.
- Few of us ever experience malfunctioning of this system.
- Thirst is a trigger that reminds us to take in more water.
- At the same time our kidneys regulate urinary output.
Factors predisposing to kidney stones include recent reduction in fluid intake, increased exercise with dehydration, medications that cause hyperuricemia (high uric acid) and a history of gout.
Treatment includes relief of pain, hydration and, if there is concurrent urinary infection, antibiotics.
View full topics