- Cool water between 40-50°F is best.
- Plain water is best. Sugar and electrolytes in fluids may slow emptying from the stomach.
- Don't depend on thirst. Drink ahead of your thirst.
- Drink water before a sporting or activity event. Two cups of water about two hours before an event is about right. Follow this with one cup of water about 15 minutes before the event.
- Sip water during an event (1/3 to 3/4 cup every 10-20 minutes). The body cannot absorb more than about one cup every 20 minutes.
- Weigh before and after a sporting event or heavy workout. After the event, replace two cups water for every one pound (say 1/2 kg) lost.
View full topics